Gampopa: The Ways in Which a Realized Yogi is Free

Jetsun Rinpoche said: For a yogi who realizes Mahamudra: (1) the view of free from two desires, (2) the meditation is free from the three stages, (3) the action is free from earlier and later activities, and (4) the result is free from hope and fear.

(1) In terms of the view being free form two desires, first, having realized the fundamental way of abiding, we might like others’ views to resemble our own, without any disagreement. Second, we might want our practice of the true nature to give rise to one result after another. We need to be free from these two desires.

(2) The meditation is free from the three stages. Rather than meditating in some way as the preparation, meditating in some way in the main part, and meditating in some way as the conclusion, at all times one’s practice is free from these three stages. It needs to be yogic meditation, like the uninterrupted flow of a river, never moving away from the true nature.

(3) The action is free from earlier and later activities. This means being free from thoughts like, “First I will do this, and then I will do that.” In brief, one has no agenda. Another way of saying this is that one’s actions are free of rejecting and accepting. One is free from wanting to get rid of emotional afflictions and wanting to accomplish wisdom as their antidote. We need to be free of all negating and affirming.

(4) The result is freedom from hope and fear. There needs to be freedom from the hope of attaining nirvana and the fear of wandering in samsara. In short, by realizing that samsara and nirvana are inseparable great bliss, there is no wish to rise up to buddhahood and no fear of falling down into samsara.<<

-Confusion Arises as Wisdom: Gampopa’s Heart Advice on the Path of Mahamudra

1 Like

Such a clear description and one can sense that this comes from first-hand experience and not from hear-say. That’s what has been such a tremendous blessing for me from these recorded talks by Lord Gampopa :green_heart:

1 Like